Monday, June 15, 2015

Tin-Headed Doll

   I found this little tin headed doll in a local antique shop a few weeks ago.  I wasn't familiar with this type of doll.  Her legs and arms are a composition, which is saw dust and glue, poured into a form to create the parts.  Her body is stuffed with what looks to be wool.


   Over all she was in pretty good shape.  Her head had taken some abuse, and the paint was chipped off her nose.  She measures about 18" tall.



   Her hair color was a very light yellow, nearly completely faded.  The eyes are also tin, and open and close.  She was down to bare metal on the left side of the back of her head.


   I decided to sand and then paint over the rough areas on her face with an enamel paint.  I also patched up her shoulders with glue and muslin fabric, as the material was tearing away.


   Here she is, all freshened up.  A nice coat of acrylic paint on her body, and limbs.  She decided she wanted to be a ginger!  After being a blond since around 1920, it was time for a big change.

   I decided to name her Jessie, after my paternal grandmother.  She was a ginger, too!
I have since crocheted her a lovely dress, and added a few accessories.  I haven't taken any photos, yet.  I will post them as soon as I get them done.  

   I am quite pleased with  my tin-headed 1920's doll!!   She's a keeper!

                                  Smile On!   Audrey

 

No comments:

Post a Comment