Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Rescued 1917 E. I. Horsman Doll


    The little sister in the middle was the next one to "put on a happy face."   She's an E. I. Horsman doll.  The noise box that she had, and no longer worked, was dated 1917.


   The expression on her face, said it all...."help me!"    She had once been an absolute charmer.  The Horsman company was a successful company in making dolls with a special quality.  I was looking forward to bringing her back to her "new" self.

   She was a compo doll , with a soft body, and stuffed with cotton.  Horsman also gave her a nice set of soft legs with adequate feet.  Sometimes the feet on old dolls are just a turned up elf like shape, and too small to match the rest of the proportions.   She was perfect!

  I did the usual removal of the painted surface, careful not to disturb the wood compo under .  I did the head and her arms.  It's a little like scaling a fish, the surface flicks and flies everywhere.  I would like to know what that paint surface is made of, but I haven't come across any information on what it is composed of.

   I kept her body intact, except for the removal of the noise box, which can and had left rust stains on the body fabric.  Then I primed her head and arms with white paint. Followed by one coat of  soft baby blue, in acrylic.  I let that dry completely for 24 hours or more.  Then it takes two layers of flesh color to make her look more human and less "smurf", letting that dry completely between each coat.

   When all of that is done, I bring out the little brushes and start to paint her facial features and her hair.  I use acrylic paint.  She waits for several more days, and then I spray a clear coat of sealer on her, using three layers to make sure she is well covered.


    Her clothes came together when I found this little pink sweater at an antique shop, along with those little vinyl shoes.  I crocheted the skirt, and made the little black stockings out of a black sock of mine!


      I discovered that adorable double chin, and soulful expression she has, after much work and patience.

     I hope you find this blog helpful if you ever decide to do some doll rescuing yourself.  I find it a very satisfying process.  I named her Edweena, after the doll companies founders name, Edward I. Horsman.
    She's 13" tall, and quite happy to take her place amidst my growing collection of restored dolls.

    The third little sister, is nearly done.  She is having some difficulties deciding what she wants to wear, so far I am calling her, "Little Miss Indecisive".

  Think Happy Thoughts and Smile On!         Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment